Increased interest in the era of the last Russian Emperor Nicholas II is celebrated in the Russia-My History Multimedia Museum in the Ural city of Ekaterinburg, where one of the halls in the Romanov section is dedicated to the reign of Nicholas II (1894-1917).
With the blessing of the Metropolitan of Ekaterinburg and Verkhoturye Cyril in the year of the 100th anniversary marking the death and martyrdom of the Holy Royal Passion-Bearers, the History Park has been designated as the starting point for the Ekaterinburg Tsar’s Route – a spiritual and educational project which connects places that preserve the memory of the Imperial family, their faithful servants, as well as well as the members of the House of Romanov who were victims of the Alapaevsk murders. These include holy places, churches and monasteries in Ekaterinburg, Verkhoturye and Alapaevsk.
Route of the project:
1. Russia-My History Multimedia Museum. Sverdlovsk Region
Ekaterinburg, People’s Will, 49
Several rooms of the museum are dedicated to the reign and epoch of Nicholas II, based on the research by Russian historians of documents discovered in archives since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and debunking many negative myths about his rule. The exposition make it possible to form an idea of the culture, reformist activity, and outstanding people during the reign of Russia’s last sovereign.
2. Church on Blood in Honour of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land
Sverdlovsk region., Ekaterinburg, ul. Tsarskaya str., 10
The church was built in 2003 on the site of the Ipatiev House, where the August Family and their four servants were held under arrest, and murdered on the night of 16/17 July 1918. From this place, called the Russian Golgotha, every year on the night of 16/17 July, many-thousands of Orthodox Christians, monarchists, and adherents to Nicholas II take part in a 13 mile (21 km) procession to Ganina Yama. The Divine Liturgy and pilgrimage in memory of the Imperial Family attracts pilgrims from across Russia and around the world.
3. Chapel in Honour of the Martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna
Ekaterinburg, Tsarskaya, 10b
In 1992, the consecration of the wooden chapel was built in the name of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. The chapel was constructed more than ten years before that of the Church on the Blood. Prayers were held here for the Holy Royal Passion-Bearers and the Alapayevsk martyrs long before their canonization on 20th August 2000, by the Moscow Patriarchate.
4. Church of the Ascension of the Lord
Ekaterinburg, Clara Zetkin, 11
Situated on the Ascension Hill, opposite the Ipatiev House, where the Holy Royal Passion-bearers were kept under house arrest. The view of the domes and the bell ringing of one of the oldest churches in Ekaterinburg, consecrated in 1818, comforted the August prisoners during their imprisonment.
5. Church of the Sovereign Icon of the Mother of God
city of Ekaterinburg, per. Nevyanskiy, 1
The Church of the Sovereign Icon of the Mother of God was built next to the historic building of the old railway station, where a train arrived from Tyumen, bearing Emperor Nicholas II, Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, their daughter Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna, and four faithful servants. The miraculous icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary Derzhavnaya was revealed on 15th (O.S. 2nd) March 1917, the day of the Emperor’s abdication from the throne.
6. Church of the Port Arthur Icon of the Mother of God
Ekaterinburg, Eastern, 30a
The church was built at the place of disembarkation of the Imperial prisoners from the train, which had arrived from Tyumen. Twice a month, on the 17th and 29th of the month, prayers with akathists to the Holy Royal Passion-Bearers and the Port Arthur Icon of the Mother of God are performed in the church – the first icon of the Holy Virgin, revealed in the twentieth century, one of the three miraculous icons revealed during the reign of the Emperor Nicholas II.
7. Alexander Nevsky Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent
Ekaterinburg, Green Grove, 1
During the Imperial Family’s internment in the Ipatiev House, the sisters of the Novo-Tikhvin Monastery brought food for them. On 16th July 1918, while making their daily visit, the nuns were told not to come any more. That night, the Tsar and his entire family perished as martyrs at the hands of the Bolsheviks. According to the oral testimony of one of the novices of the monastery, a few years later the nuns Maria and Antonina were shot for the help which they provided to the August family.
8. Monastery of the Holy Royal Passion-Bearers
Yekaterinburg, Ganina Yama
On 17th July 1918, the murdered remains of the Imperial family and their four servants were brought to Ganina Yama, where they were thrown into an abandoned mine. On 23rd September 2000, His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II visited this place and blessed the establishment of a monastery here. Sprinkled with the blood of the Holy Royal Passion-bearers, Ganina Yama has become a place of pilgrimage for people from all over the world.
9. Holy Cross Cathedral of St. Nicholas Monastery
Verkhoturye, st. Voinskaya, 1a
The cathedral was built to mark the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty, and the expected, but cancelled visit of Nicholas II in 1913. In July 1914 the pilgrimage to Verkhoturye was performed by the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna. The relics of the Saint Simeon of Verkhoturye rest in the cathedral.
10. Monastery of the New Martyrs of Russia
Alapaevsk, 66th km, Nizhnyaya Salda-Upper Sinyachikha a / d
The monastery of the New Martyrs of Russia is situated on the place where the bodies of the Alapaevsk martyrs were thrown into the mine on the night of 17/18 July 1918. In the monastery church are relics of the saints of the Holy Martyrs Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna and the nun Varvara.
11. Holy Trinity Cathedral
Alapaevsk, ul. Tchaikovsky, 32
In 1918, the Holy Trinity Cathedral received the remains of the Alapaevsk martyrs. Their remains were placed in a chapel in the lower section of the church. As the Bolsheviks advanced on the town, the remains were evacuated. In the summer of 2017, a monument to Grand Duchess Elizabeth was established on the square in front of the cathedral.
12. Outdoor School. Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna Monastery
Alapaevsk, ul. Lenina, 79
The outdoor school is the only fully preserved place of suffering of the Alapayevsk martyrs. In the summer of 1918, the Grand Duchess Elisaveta Feodorovna, her cell-mate in nun Varvara (Yakovleva), Grand Duke Sergei Mikhailovich, princes of the Imperial House Ioann, Konstantin and Igor Konstantinovichi, Prince Vladimir Paley and Secretary Fedor Remez were held here. In 1998, a women’s community was founded here in the name of the Holy Martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna.
Click HERE for more information about the Ekaterinburg Tsar’s Route
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 8 June 2018