While more and more statues and busts of Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin continue to be erased from the Russian landscape, no less than four new monuments to Russian monarchs were established in various cities across Russia during the past week.
On 11th September, a monument to Emperor Peter I (1672-1725) was established in the city of Rostov-on-Don. The bronze monument depicts the figure of a Cossack giving the emperor a cup of spring water. Peter the Great is depicted in the clothes of the Preobrazhensky Regiment.
The composition – which weighs 2 tons – was created by the famous Rostov sculptor Sergei Oleshnya, the author of the famous monument to Empress Elizabeth Petrovna in Pokrovsky Square and many other sculptures in the city.
On 12th September, a monument to the Emperor Alexander II (1818-1881) was established in Bernovo, a village in the Staritsky district of the Tver region.
The establishment of a monument to the Tsar-Liberator, has been a long-standing dream of Alexander Yakovlevich Volnukhin – local historian, honorary citizen Tver region, a true patriot and faithful son of old Russia.
In 1912, residents of the Bernovo district established a bronze bust of the emperor in the center of the village, showing their gratitude for liberation from serfdom. The bust was removed during the Soviet years, leaving just a pedestal, however, drawings and documents have been preserved in the archives.
The initiators of the restoration of the monument were Alexander Volnukhin, patron Pavel Shidlovsky with the support of the administration of the Staritssky district, the administration of the Bernovo village, the association of the Tver country communities, and the Bernovo orthodox parish.
The dean of the Torzhok and Staritsa districts, Protopriest Nikolai, performed the ceremony of consecration of the newly restored monument.
On 14th September, a monument to the Emperor Alexander III (1845-1894) was established in Korenovsk, a town located in the North Caucasus region in southern Russia.
Documents in the State Archives of the Krasnodar Region, show that Emperor Alexander III and his family visited Korenovsk on 21 September 1888. The emperor’s journey was dedicated to the opening of the new rail line connecting Tikhoretsk to Novorossiysk, stopping at Korenovskaya Station, where he met with local Cossacks.
130 years later, a monument in honour of Alexander III’s visit was established on the square in front of the Korenovsk Station. The initiator of the project was the hereditary Cossack and ataman (1997-2011) of the Korenovsky RKO Mikhail Sergeevich Timchenko. The bust was made by the sculptor Emil Mazmanyan, the pedestal was made in the workshop of Mikhail Serdyukov.
The monument carries a famous quote that it attributes to Emperor Alexander III: “Russia has two allies — its army and the navy.”
On 16th September, a monument to the Empress Catherine II (1729-1796), was established in Morshansk, a town in the Tambov region.
The monument was established by the Russian Military Historical Society. The tablet on the pedestal reads “Mother Empress Catherine II – the founder of the city of Morshansk.” The bust itself, made by the sculptor Denis Stritovich, is an exact copy of the work of the sculpture academician of the Petersburg Academy of Arts Samuel Halberg, which was presented to the city in 1879. The original bust, which was saved in the post-revolutionary years, is today part of the permanent collection of the Morshansk Historical and Art Museum.
© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 18 September 2018