Monuments to Ella and Sergei Established in Nizhny Novgorod

0237

On 11th October 2018, two monuments were consecrated in honour of the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna (1864-1918) and her husband, the founder of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society (IOPS), Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich (1857-1905).

The monuments were established on the grounds of the city clinical hospital No. 40, in Nizhny Novgorod, near the new Church in Honour of the Holy Martyr Elizabeth Feodorovna. The monuments mark the 100th anniversary of the death of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, on 18th July 1918, who was murdered by the Bolsheviks near Alapaevsk.

The sculptures were made by Honoured Artist of the Russian Federation, and Member of the Russian Academy of Arts Alexander Alekseevich Apollonov (1947-2017). Assistance in the manufacture of monuments was provided by the deputy of the Moscow regional branch of the IOPS, Alexander Panin. 

© Paul Gilbert @ Royal Russia. 16 October 2018